Tourner: “to turn.” Cut vegetables into traditional faceted oval shapes.
- Cut vegetables into pieces of equal length (troncons).
- Cut each piece into approximate finished shape.
- Holding with fingertips of one hand, slice off one side in a slightly curved stroke.
- Continue to work around entire piece, slightly turning until the whole piece has been molded into an even sided barrel shape.
- Bouquetiere: 3 cm (1 3/16 inches) long
- Cocotte: 5 cm (2 inches) long
- Vapeur: 6 cm (2 3/8 inches) long
- Chateau: 7.5 cm (3 inches) long
- Fondants: 8-9 cm (3 1/8 – 3 1/2 inches) long