- 1 1/4 cup Zweiback crumbs (Crushed Nilla Wafers May be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 12 ounces (12 squares) semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup hot coffee with 3 tablespoons almond extract
- 2 8 ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- Shaved chocolate (optional)
- Almond slices (optional)
Combine Zweiback crumbs and 1 tablespoon sugar. Butter sides of a springform pan. Shake some of the crumbs around pan to coat sides. Add melted butter to remaining crumbs, blend well. Press mixture over bottom of pan.
Meanwhile, melt chocolate with coffee over hot, not boiling water. Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating constantly. Scrape down sides of bowl and beat again. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Stir in vanilla and salt. Beat in melted chocolate until blended. Pour into prepared pan.
Bake in preheated 325 degrees oven for 55 minutes. Turn off heat, set door ajar and allow to cool for 2-3 hours. Before serving spread with whipped cream and sprinkle with shaved chocolate and almond slices.
Serve cake at room temperature.