- 6 cups coarsely chopped green tomatoes, about 2 pounds
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup seeded and minced red jalapeño pepper
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons sorghum syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seeds
Working in batches, pulse tomatoes and onion in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a 6-quart Dutch oven. Stir in peppers and salt. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours, preferably overnight.
Uncover and bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Pour through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl, pressing with back of a spoon to release liquid. Discard liquid or save for another use. Return solids to Dutch oven.
Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil, stirring occasionally for a few minutes until liquid evaporates. Spoon into clean jars. Let cool slightly. Cover and chill. Keeps in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.